Tools required:- Electric drill
8mm, 4mm, 2mm drill bits
(Note: if you are using your own method to mount the pattress, instead of onto a wall box, ignore items 5 to 9, and 11.)
(Note: if you have bought a pattress with a switch or switches fitted, ignore items 1 to 4)
1. Firstly, decide where on the pattress you would like to mount your switch(es), and mark on the pattress the centre position of the switch(es) with a pencil.
2. Drill a hole on the mark(s) large enough to accept the switch wire. We suggest a minimum of 8mm diameter.
3. Next, place the switch that you are using in position over the large hole, and make a mark on the pattress for each screw hole that will be used to mount the switch on the pattress.
4. Use a 2mm drill bit to drill these holes through the pattress.
5. On the adapter plate, there are 2 sets of holes each side of the large central hole. These holes are used to attach the pattress to the adapter plate. The outer, countersunk holes attach the adapter plate to the wall box. The switch will hide the screws used to attach the pattress to the adapter plate.
6. If you have purchased a pattress with switches fitted, remove the switches. Place the adapter plate on the front of the pattress, centralised over where the switch will go (or for a double adapter plate, equidistant between 2 switches). If the screw holes that you have already made coincide with the 2 sets of smaller holes on the adapter plate, move the adapter plate up or down to avoid them, within the constraints of the recess for the adapter plate on the back of the pattress. (This will mean that the pattress will be slightly offset from the wall box, but this should have no effect on the final look). Then mark the pattress, using a pointed tool (e.g. a bradawl, scribe or nail), through only 1 of the holes each side of the large central hole on the adapter plate.
7. Use a 4mm drill bit to drill these holes through the pattress, and countersink them if necessary to allow the switch to lie flat on the pattress.
8. Pass the switch wire(s) through the large hole in the adapter plate.
9. Attach the adapter plate to the front of the wall box using the 16mm long machine screws supplied, using a slotted screwdriver. They go through the outer set of holes on the adapter plate, and screw into the lugs in the wall box.
10. Pass the switch wire(s) through the large hole(s) you have drilled in the pattress.
11. Attach the pattress to the adapter plate using the 1” self-tapping screws provided, by passing them through the 4mm holes that you have drilled in the pattress, and screw them into the adapter plate holes using a pozidrive screwdriver.
12. Wire up the switch(es).
13. Attach the switch(es) to the pattress using the remaining 12mm long woodscrews provided, using a pozidrive screwdriver. Replace the light switch cover(s).
14. Stand back and admire!